Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A Filipino-Scottish Wedding Meant to be Devoured

An unfamiliar music was playing as I entered the hall. It wasn't a wedding, but I can sense some love in the air. Lights were dimmed, and series of video clips were being projected in one of the vacant walls of the room. The video was dramatic but appealing, and a large table - very large, actually, that could seat 30 people all together - was placed at the center of the room, adorned with certain uniqueness but wasn't intimidating at all. There was a bit sense of awkwardness in the air at first, but when everyone got to know one another, the  crisp air was filled with laughter and cheers - a sound meant to bind people together to enjoy a special occasion.


I dunno what has gotten in to my mind to be in an event like this. I don't usually get invites for this kind of sophisticated events, so every time I got into one, bet I'm pretty sure that people around me would feel the inconvenience in the way I move, in the way I talk. I'm just glad that I'm look quite well to be here.


Held at Commissary in White Space Events Place in Makati, along with a number of writers from different glossies, newspapers and popular websites, your Lafanggero was invited to a night of whisky-lechon degustation dinner with Glenfiddich's Southeast Asia brand ambassador Mr. Matthew Fergusson-Stewart.

Matthew Fergusson-Stewart

I honestly didn't expect it to be this grand and exclusive, but I'm thankful that I was invited to this gathering. Though I know that I'm way below compared to these publications and online sites, I feel so honored and humbled to be here, to meet everyone and to dine with them!

This event was dubbed as whisky-lechon food pairing, where our host, Glenfiddich - world's most awarded single malt Scotch whisky - shared four of their most award-winning creations, the Glenfiddich 12 Year Old, the Glenfiddich 15 Year Old, the Glenfiddich 18 Year old and the last but not the least, Glenfiddich 21 Year Old.

The feast

This gathering wouldn't be called whisky-lechon food pairing without the lechon, right? And that night, serving their tastiest lechon ever are the owners of Cibo Di M and Pepita's Kitcken.

Who would've thought that the latest pairing in town would be Scotland's best whisky and Philippine's most-love pork dish? I guess anything could really go well with a good blend of whisky and crunchy and delicious lechon!

Cibo Di M and Pepita's Kitchen with Matthew Fergusson-Stewart

There were four stages for this food pairing since there were four variants of Glenfiddich available that night. And every stage, we have Matthew explaining every pair - how they decided to pair their whisky with this type or part of lechon.


A photo posted by Alex de Vera Dizon (@axle16alex) on


A photo posted by Alex de Vera Dizon (@axle16alex) on


A photo posted by Alex de Vera Dizon (@axle16alex) on

Every pair is exquisitely unique - the blending of the flavor, from citrus-y to saltiness and even the crunch - each is enjoyable and at the same time mind boggling that it worked.


Though, I'm not really a whisky drinker, I'll admit that I did enjoy this activity. The first pair was absolutely refreshing and enjoyable. The second was a little better since we had the crunchy lechon skin with the whisky. The third one was a bit challenging because the experience was a bit quite since there was no crunchy lechon skin to add some sound. And the fourth one was something that I couldn't really finish. The taste of the 21 Year Old Glenfiddich was dry, something that I'm really accustomed, good thing the lechon was very tasty and crunchy, so it kinda balanced the experience.


According to Matthew, who has been in the Philippines for quite some time, "This is an opportunity for us to showcase Glenfiddich as a drink that can lend itself amazingly well across a range of dishes worldwide. Whether it is the classic lechon partnered with our 12-year-old variant, or the rich lechon with truffle rice teaming up with our 21-year-old vintage, our offerings are bound to open up new avenues of taste, and give discriminating diners some food for thought."

This Glenfiddich-Lechon Food Pairing didn't end with those slices of lechon and glasses of whisky, for the whole Glenfiddich Philippines Team shared to us a sumptuous dinner and more whisky to enjoy.

As much as I don't want to end the night and this blog the fairy tale way, it was indeed a "Happily Ever After" pairing that made me realize, Glenfiddich whisky...? Hmmm, Will definitely have you again - WITH LECHON!!!!

Thank you, guys! Happy eating!

P.S. That Pepita's Kitchen's lechon was soooooo damn good, I can't take it off of my mind!!!! Waaaah!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails